Friday, October 5, 2012

What a Wonderful World


     It’s autumn officially: the morning air is more refrigerator than oven; it’s still 
dark at 5:45; and when I open my south-facing garage door, Orion is right in 
front of me, looking over his shoulder at the recently Harvest, now waning 
gibbous, moon.
        My son is embarrassed to be driving my uncool little gray Prius, but he 
manages to get over the feeling at least once a day. Today he’s taking it to 
school so that he can leave right away for his after-school internship at ASU.
Parking is tight at the college, and at the beginning of the semester he 
received a GIMME BREAK CARD warning ticket for parking in the absence of
a meter, an understandable mistake since they had been removed just the 
week before. Yesterday, however, he found several notices of a different sort
stuck in the windshield and shared them with me. I'll do the same here, for
together they are microcosms of the good and evil mood swings of society. 
One requires censorship, which I'll attempt with a symbol indicating "shocking." 
Here's the first note:
     The hand in the note is drawn in an unfriendly gesture, and the two covered 
g's make the last word into a pejorative. Why? Had my son taken (and paid for) 
the last available spot? Did the antisocial individual simply disapprove of hybrid 
vehicles, or perhaps my peace frog window sticker? I think someone needs yoga.
      On the other hand, look what the next visitor left.   
                                 

Apparently there are people who visit the parking areas and, in an offering
of good will, put small amounts of money in the meter or pay boxes. Here they 
noticed the directed act of boorishness and enclosed the fee in the envelope
(my son's time was just about up) along with this note,
which says, "You are the recipient of a random act of kindness. Enjoy and smile! 
Cheers from all of us in Dr. Sarah Tracy's COM 494 Com & the Art of Happiness." 
I looked up Dr. Tracy's communications class. Among its goals are to investigate 
how and why images are culturally important and to understand when images 
successfully communicate and when they don't. I give them an A.









No comments:

Post a Comment