Friday, September 14, 2012

Condensation!

     I went mushroom picking yesterday, in my backyard. The tops look good enough 
to eat, like the meringue ones we make in December for bouche de Noel, with cocoa



powder sifted on top. Those meringues have been stolen more than once by the 
perpetrator shown below, along with missing toast, cheese, pastries, cups of 
coffee, and half-glasses of beer.




Needless to say, I needed to get the real mushrooms out of the grass before 
Sparrow (yes, named for a pirate) managed to poison herself.
       Fungi aside, all this moisture makes southern Arizona feel as if it had a genuine variable climate. I went to buy some fish on Tuesday and could barely see through 
the fogged-over display glass. The attendant came around to my side with a towel 
and stepped in front of me, wiping. "Sorry," he said, "I have to do this every half hour 
today because of the humidity." Humidity – here in Arizona!

      Arctic sea ice is melting and we're seeing record heat waves in the eastern US. 
Could it be that paradoxically, global climate change is Arizona's temporary best 
friend? (So often besties are fickle.) Maybe we'll become a new tropical paradise.  
"Don't worry, be happy," will be on our souvenir t-shirts. "Here in Chandler," we'll say, 
"we're so relaxed that even the hummingbirds just sit, sipping their hibiscus daiquiris."






1 comment: